I’m so excited to be taking part in the Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles #2) Blog Tour today! Book #1 Onyx and Ivory was one of the best books I read last year! If you haven’t already seen it, here’s my review for it, where I gush and gush. Today I’m sharing my review of Shadow & Flame, along with an awesome (INT) giveaway!
Because Shadow & Flame is the second book in the Rime Chronicles, I’m going to try and make this review vague so if you haven’t read book one – what the heck are you waiting for?! – you’re not spoiled.
Book one in the Rime Chronicles, Onyx & Ivory, was one of my top 2018 reads. The things I loved most about it was:
- It had zero info-dump
- A great mystery
- A great cast of characters
- A romance worth rooting for
I devoured Onyx & Ivory in one day, and one sitting, therefore when I was given the chance to receive an early copy of Shadow & Flame, I leapt at it. I was dying to see what was coming next for my newest fav couple Kate and Corwin, and to learn more about the world of Rime.
The things I loved most about Shadow & Flame was:
- No slow build-up. This story began with a prison heist, which set the perfect fast-paced tone for the rest of the book.
- A new, juicier villain/mystery. If I didn’t have obligations like work, I probably would have finished this book in one day/one sitting like I did its predecessor. I was hooked!
- Tissues were required. It’s easy to become invested in Arnett’s Rime characters, and in this latest book, they experience a lot. Happy moments, confusing moments, triumphant moments, desperate moments, and heartbreaking moments, and I was right there experience it all with them.
All in all Shadow & Flame was a great sequel, and I’m really looking forward to future works by Mindee Arnett!
Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2) by Mindee Arnett
Published by Balzer + Bray on June 4, 2019
Genres: Young Adult, High Fantasy, Romance
From acclaimed author Mindee Arnett comes the thrilling conclusion of the stunningly epic, action-packed, and romantic fantasy adventure about a powerful girl possessed of strange magic, the outcast prince she loves, and the kingdom that has torn them apart.
Kate and Corwin are on the run, desperate for allies in a new world of war among the kingdoms of Rime.
As the book opens, Kate suffers a massive loss, one that will shape the struggle for freedom of all wilders and magic folk—that is, if Kate can learn to control her own power.
About the author
YA Author of THE NIGHTMARE AFFAIR, a contemporary fantasy coming March 5, 2013 from Tor Teen (Macmillan) and AVALON, a YA sci-fi thriller coming Winter 2014 from Balzer+Bray (HarperCollins). Represented by the fabulous Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary. Addicted to jumping horses and telling tales of magic, the macabre, and outer space.
Enter below for a chance to win an awesome prize bundle which includes signed copies of Onyx and Ivory, and beautiful character cards. Best part – this giveaway is INT!